Upon arriving in Fort Collins, we had less than a week to get somewhat settled in before starting school and work. We were very excited to explore the town on our bikes! We only slightly noticed the effects of the high altitude on our bodies. About 2 weeks after school had started, I woke up with a terrible head ache and felt slightly nauseous. I stayed home from school and the symptoms preceded to worsen, leading us to believe I had the H1N1 (or Swine) flu virus. According to the informational sheets that were being passed around the school, shortness of breath was an emergency sign and it was suggested to go into the school's clinic. After 4 days with flu-like symptoms, my shortness of breath became worrisome. I visited the clinic, however my oxygen levels were 98% (which is really good) and I was told that I was probably at the tail end of H1N1. Two days later, my shortness of breath worsened to point of not being able to catch my breath at all and the simplest of tasks (such as rolling over in bed) were very difficult to do. I revisited the clinic and this time I hardly made it into the clinic form the car without passing out. I could hardly speak because my shortness of breath was so bad. They immediately got me to see a doctor. After getting blood work done, the doctor found the numbers to be shockingly high for blood clots! I was rushed to the hospital to get a CT-scan of my chest, then shortly after I was admitted to the hospital for a massive Pulmonary Embolism (several blood clots in both of my lungs) as well as Deep Vein Thrombosis (blood clot in the calf of my leg). This was caused from the birth control pills I was on just before the wedding! The 20 hours of driving over two days must have caused the one in my calf to spread up to my lungs. I am now on the blood thinner Coumadin to prevent the clots from spreading or getting bigger. My body will naturally absorb them, but that could take anywhere from 6 months to 12 months.
I missed a lot of school, however my teachers have been very understanding and I've been able to catch up and keep up with my studies! I still, however, and very fatigued and have days when I don't feel very good. Andy has been extremely helpful and understanding throughout my ups and downs.
Even with all of these challenges, we've been able to have some fun! Andy has picked up the hobby of biking and has enjoyed working on the mechanics of the bike to make it better for him. He as been riding regularly and has even gone up into the foothills of the Rockies; very gorgeous! We've made several friends here, I am really lucky to be a part of such a great group of Master's students! We had a Halloween party with great food and Rock Band. As I am starting to feel better, we are starting to explore the area more and finding a few restaurants we love and some fun sights!
-Karmen
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I was so scared to hear about your blood clots, but am very glad you have good ol Jetta there to take care of you! Rock Band party sounds fun- I miss doing those with you guys!
ReplyDeleteHappy Holidays!
-Emma